Friday 17 August 2012

Pussy Riot


I am glad I wasn’t born in Russia. Living there is not easy. The weather and the food would try my patience. The Czar would not have been my friend. I would have been murdered by Stalin. I would not have thrived under the later Soviets, and I doubt very much that I would prosper under Vladimir Putin.

Had I been born in Russia, in any of those periods, I do wonder if I would have thought it kind or proper, to stand before the High Altar of the Cathedral and register my protest addressing the “Mother of God” using the words ‘fuck’ and ‘cunt’ whilst people poorer, simpler, and less able than I were present, saying their prayers and trying to get through their day too.

It is an outrage that, having apologised for their misjudgement, the members of “Pussy Riot” should not be forgiven by the Patriarch (Colossians 3.13).

My hope tonight, is that the three women jailed today knew what they doing and are prepared for the consequences.

Because the consequences will be horrible.

1 comment: