Saturday 31 March 2012

A seminal text

A friend I hadn't seen for the best part of two decades came to the bookshop today.

Clearly the Sisters of Perpetual Indulgence were right to canonise him all those years ago as he came bearing a box of books, many of which I also hadn't seen in the best part of two decades.

I shall leave others to comment on the importance of Pat Califia's Lesbian S/M Safety Manual but the seminal text illustrated here was the first "gay book" I ever bought.

I'd sent away for it, with a Postal Order. For three weeks I crept out of bed at first light to beat my family to the post. Finally it arrived and I got to it before anyone else and my secret was safe.
 
Shortly afterwards I shouted my secret from the highest hills, and on occasion, even told the golden daffodils.  Aaron Fricke - thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment