Tuesday 30 January 2018

Forgetting to go to a funeral

Bill's funeral was today. And I forgot to go.

Bill was one of the pioneers of a decent, human response to HIV. In times, that today's readers could not, and indeed perhaps should not, comprehend Bill's response of simply being alongside stigmatised sickness was a beacon.

His impact on my own personal life is immeasurable. He founded Streetwise. My time as the first outreach volunteer, hanging out at midnight in Dunkin' Donuts at Piccadilly Circus speaking with young rent boys, encouraging condoms (and showers) has informed more of my character and being than I have words to describe.

Like me, Bill joined the Franciscans. We talked a bit about it some decades ago. We both knew why we joined. And we both knew why we left. That's 'God' for you. Let the reader understand.

Bill and his mind parted company some years ago. Since then his friend Verena has faithfully updated us with quarterly emails. When I got the latest to say Bill had died I put today, midday, Bill's Funeral in my diary.

Yesterday, I saw a message on Facebook. It alerted me to the fact that the Chief Planning Officer of the Corporation of London was up to no good. I'll not bore you with details, though if you want to know how corruption works in EC1 in 2018 do ask.

As I sat in the Livery Hall of the Guildhall, listening to deliberations of the Transportation and Planning Committee of the Corporation of London I glanced at my diary.

"Fuck. I shouldn't be here" was my first thought.  "Oh, yes I should" was my second.

The Chief Planning Officer's wicked recommendation was voted down 11-12.

Bless you Bill, and thank you. For everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment